Carl took part in building the largest mall in Scandinavia
Unibail-Rodamco is Europe's largest listed real estate company which focuses on investing in commercial properties. They now opens Mall of Scandinavia, the largest mall in Scandinavia. Development and creativity are important for the company, and the willpower comes from young innovators. We met Carl Durlow, who played a big part in building some of Scandinavia’s largest malls.
Tell us about your position!
– I am Head of Operating Management with the Nordic countries as focus, which means that I am basically responsible for business and results within our Nordic real estate portfolio. Earlier I was responsible for the commercial development of Mall of Scandinavia!
What makes your job fun?
– When I applied six years ago I wanted to work in an international atmosphere. I started with our trainee program, the European Graduate Programme, and during this time I got the chance to try three different positions in three countries. This helped me become a part of the company. Even though I work mostly within Sweden, we cooperate a lot with our foreign offices and partners. You are given the opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility and to work with big companies even if you are relatively inexperienced. I was in deep water quickly, but I always felt supported.
What career opportunities are available at Unibail-Rodamco?
– There are lots of possibilities. It is great that you can take on the kind of responsibilities that employees who have been with the company for a long time have early on. You can try different positions at different divisions, which makes you feel that you are constantly doing something new and exciting. It is very possible that you can get into a leading position early on. This company makes you feel engaged and motivated to advance and develop early on.
What does Unibail-Rodamco do to stimulate their employees’ creativity?
– There is always something to do and we work hard with motivating employees to be creative and innovative, even though this in turn creates high demands. We have many different education programmes that help employees advance within the company. We also try to work according to the ‘learn by doing’-philosophy. Further, employees get the chance to change their everyday life to one in another country! For example, within the European Graduate Programme you always have tasks abroad and after that you can for example spend time in our internal innovation incubator in Paris, UR Lab. A department that focuses on developing ideas and concepts for implementation in our malls. UR Lab are, among other things, the brains behind our most recent concept, The Designer Gallery ™, that Mall of Scandinavia is one of our first malls that have.
You have been responsible for the commercial development of Mall of Scandinavia! How does it feel to work with an employer who takes on such a large project?
– It is so much fun! Imagine how many young people have been involved in building such large project as the Mall of Scandinavia is, it was actually one of Sweden’s biggest construction sites. It is huge; I have really been able to use my creativity. Peab Sweden are contractors for the project and it is their largest project ever. I like how it is a big project not only to us, but also to others.
What makes Unibail-Rodamco a unique employer?
– Mainly that you can take on many responsibilities early on. The company sees an advantage in having a young team with a lot of energy and willpower, which in turn boosts creativity. We have many strong personalities underneath the same roof and leaders who are supportive and who wants you to develop.
Join our LinkedIn page for updates and new!